Friday, April 20, 2012

What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

Title: What a Boy Wants

Author: Nyrae Dawn

My Rating: 4 stars

Purchase for Amazon Kindle

 

 

 

 

 

 

My Review:

 ♪♪ What a boy wants, what a boy needs ♪♪

The title of this book makes me want to start singing the song by Christina Aguilera (with altered lyrics of course) and that brings me back my younger years which in turn sets me in the right frame of mind for this book.  It really is a perfect circle. That being said, as a thirty-something mom of 3 kids, this book may be considered a little young for me. That, however, did not stop me from reading it.  After all, YA books are great for making us aging folk feel young at heart, right?

What a Boy Wants is written from the perspective of teenage boy, Sabastian, who has decided he doesn't believe in love after experiencing his mother's heartbreak time after time.  He is cocky, confident, and has decided that all he ever wants or needs from a girl is a hook-up.  However, his simple plan is set astray when he starts noticing his best friend in a different way that she has ever seemed to him before.  Is this love?  And more importantly, is he capable of love?

This was a very cute, sweet, funny and light-hearted read for me.  Ms. Dawn did a very good job writing it in the male's perspective and her writing style reminded me alot of Tammara Webber's (whom I absolutely love!) And then there is the cover...I have to say that the cover fits Sabastian perfectly.

I am not sure that the book grabbed me from an emotional standpoint and it seemed fairly predictable to me, since I sort of figured out what was going to ensure during the first chapter.  The emotional aspect may just be because of my age and I wasn't able to relate.  Add a little more mystery and some more emotion and this would have been a 5 star book for me though.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to read a story from a male's perspective and wants to experience a light-hearted, sweet, teenage story.

1 comments: