Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover


Title:  Hopeless

Author: Colleen Hoover

My Rating: 5 Stars

Purchase: Amazon Kindle 

Please note: Hopeless is written for ages 17+
Synopsis:

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


My thoughts:



Is it possible to top perfection? 

Anyone that knows me knows I LOVE the Slammed series by Colleen Hoover with all my heart. To me that book was perfection and I really didn't think that Colleen would be able to top it.  And she didn't top it. No, she double-decker ice cream scoop, hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, and sprinkles topped it.

I am once again amazed at Colleen's ability to bring her characters to life and how they can so easily get under my skin. Sky is strong, brave, but yet a broken young woman.  There are many points in the story that have you wondering why something that would bother or embarrass anyone else simply doesn't faze her at all. The reality is that I love that about her.  I envy her ability to take life so nonchalantly. I don't, however, envy all that she had to go through and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. My heart broke for her in many places and I'm still not sure if it is completely put back together.

Holder is....well, Holder is scary. He's scary because he is so damn perfect. Not perfect in a flawless sort of way, because he definitely has his flaws, but perfect in a way that makes you feel protected, in a way that makes you feel secure, and perfect in a way that oozes swoon-worthy masculinity and makes your heart pitter-patter with everything that comes from his mouth.  There is no poetry in Hopeless, but Holder's words felt like poetry to me.

Before delving into this book, I didn't read the synopsis and I didn't read any teasers.  I simply put my faith in Colleen that she would write something that would blow me away.  And she didn't disappoint. So in this review I am not going to give anything about the story away.  I simply challenge you to pick it up and start reading.  Your decision to do so will be validated with the emotions your heart feels throughout the book.

Hopeless is a book that will make you laugh, make you cry, rip out your heart, shatter it in little tiny pieces, stomp on it a little, and then duct tape it all back together. It's not simply a love story, it a journey that will change you forever.  I am forever changed because of this book.

If you have a heartbeat and a soul, you should read this book.  Heck, even if you're a zombie, you should read this book.  You will LIKE it.  You will LIVE it.  You will LOVE it.

1 comments: