Thursday, December 27, 2012

Just Remember to Breathe by Charles Sheehan-Miles


Title:  Just Remember to Breathe

Author: Charles Sheehan-Miles

My Rating: 4 Stars

Purchase: Amazon Kindle 


Synopsis: Alex Thompson’s life is following the script. A pre-law student at Columbia University, she’s focused on her grades, her life and her future. The last thing she needs is to reconnect with the boy who broke her heart.

Dylan Paris comes home from Afghanistan severely injured and knows that the one thing he cannot do is drag Alex into the mess he’s made of his life.

When Dylan and Alex are assigned to the same work study program and are forced to work side by side, they have to make new ground rules to keep from killing each other.

Only problem is, they keep breaking the rules.

The first rule is to never, ever talk about how they fell in love.


My thoughts:



I'm going to be honest. I didn't want to read this book. I saw the word "Afghanistan" and decided it wasn't for me. I'm not into war books, war details, ANYTHING to do with war. I'm not heartless, It just doesn't interest me in the slightest. So I wrote it off despite all my book friends raving about it. Then I was asked to review it for my blog. This is where my inability to say no got me in trouble. I pushed it off until the very last moment and now here I am kicking myself for it.

This book is NOT about war. Don't let my opening to this review lead you to believe that. And I knew from reading the synopsis that it wasn't. It was the fact that I knew there would be stuff from war in it that kept me from reading it.

What is this book about?

Young love
Heartache
Second Chances
PTSD
Failure
Overcoming obstacles

It's about real life and Mr. Sheehan-Miles did a wonderful job of creating an emotional, heart-wrenching story that sucked me in with the first sentence.

And the war stuff? It's there. But it's there in a capacity that it didn't turn me off. It is only a portion of the story and it was explained and described in layman's terms so a complete war idiot like myself could understand and sympathize.

So I apologize to Charles for jumping to conclusions and I thank him for writing such a wonderful story. I will definitely be reading more of his work in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment